We have one more student – Agneev Tripathy from Birbhum Institute of Engineering & Technology, who is ready to share about his views about the changing educational system. And he feels that in this fast moving technological world, its very important that along with all other things our educational system should also move forward and get efficient as well as effective.
Let us see what he has to say-
Q. What are you doing, tell us yourself? And what plans you have about your future education?
My name is Agneev Tripathy. Currently I am pursuing B.Tech in mechanical engineering from Birbhum Institute of Engineering & Technology. I did my schooling from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan in Kolkata. I was born & raised in Jamshedpur for 10 years, after which I shifted with my parents to Kolkata. Like most people, I also know how to play guitar, but can’t sing. I am a movie buff & enjoy watching football.
I am planning to study for a job in the field of data analytics. I also wish to do an MBA, not in the recent future though, I’d like to gather some work experience first before I sit for MBA entrance exams.
Q. What are your ideas about digital education system?
Digital education system is the future. Gone will be those days when you have to keep high stacks of books, or running all over to get notes from your friends the night before your exams. Already colleges like VIT have an almost full-fledged digital education system.
In this age of internet, social media & smartphones, students will find interactive video lectures, presentations, animation & various other elements far more interesting than ever. This will encourage them to be more engaging with their teachers for any queries they may have. This will further initialize academic discussions among them, even anonymously if they wish, much more than it used to. This is the next step towards a better education.
Q. Do you think online education system will be as good as offline/bookish education system ?
Yes, I do think online educational system will be as good as offline education system.
In the 21st century, technology has changed the ways in which we communicate and go about our lives. The way that we think of textbooks is completely changing. It is no longer limited to merely text and pictures. Textbooks now have web-based sites that include assessments, animations, additional materials, videos, and other materials to support the learning of new content. These days E-books are on the rise. They are becoming more prevalent with the advancements of e-readers and tablet computers. Voice recognition software has improved greatly in the past few years and is more accessible. Children with special needs and limited English proficiency are able to more effectively communicate in language based contexts. There is also a rise of web based research. What used to take hours in the library to find, we find instantaneously. As a result, we need to sort through huge amounts of information efficiently. We know how to get and use information. Because it takes less time to find information.
Q. What according to you are the major challenges that a student might face during this educational revolution?
A student, along with their parents, will have to face a lot challenges during an educational revolution. To name a few:
- Coping with the new system being established. While this new system is a visionary idea, it is also important to note that many children still don’t have access to a personal computer or tablet. So even if these accessories were to be sponsored to them, they will still find it extremely difficult to comprehend.
- Lack of proper infrastructure. India is still a developing country, & digitalization is impeded due to lack of proper infrastructure. In order to initiate this, most students need to have some basic requirements like a personal computer or a tablet, an internet connection with proper speed & also protection from cyber theft.
- Lack of proper guidance. This new system will become a challenge for many. Since this will be the first-time students will be using a digital system to study, many parents & teachers will find it difficult to provide the required guidance for making the transition.
- Being able to afford the new digital education system. Such a digitalized system demands proper accessories. Many parents may find it difficult to afford a computer or tablet for their children along with added expenses like a 24×7 internet connection.
But the pros of this new system far outweigh the cons. So both the student & their parents shouldn’t hesitate & embrace this new system.
Q. What positive changes do you think we might get from this new educational technology?
In today’s society, there is no question that technology has become a part of our everyday lives. And this very same technology is being used to assist teachers, students & institutions as well.
To name a few ways in which this is happening:
- Supplementary teaching tools: Tablets, apps, video lectures, interactive whiteboards are some of such tools available. Interactive presentation tools, video clips, graphics, & other audio visual elements are a simple way to keep students actively engaged in lessons, as well as keeping the lessons fresh.
- Motivating students to learn: Many students are more stimulated and are apt to learn when they can interact with hands-on learning tools, which various forms of educational technology provide. Technology in the classroom allows students to take greater control of their education because tools like tablets and laptops encourage interactive, hands-on learning.
- Students can learn at their own pace: Every student learns at his or her own pace. There are many ways that integrating technology into the classroom can help students learn at a rate that is comfortable to them, and that allows them to retain information.Laptops or tablets lets students process information with ease & also frees up teacher’s time which they can now use for extra guidance or assistance.
- Resources for students: Educational apps, search engines, videos, portable technologies and interactive activities provide students with a nearly endless supply of information and resources
- Preparing for the future: The learning children do in school prepares them for the future, and for this reason it is important to incorporate technology in the classroom. Over the years, technology has evolved tremendously and will continue to do so. Those changes should be parallel with teachers’ lesson plans and learning techniques of children and classrooms. It’s important to note that expensive classroom technology solutions don’t always result in effective teaching and learning. Simple solutions can lead to influential teaching, which can have a clear impact on learning. By learning to use technology in the classroom at a young age, children are developing the skills and knowledge that is essential in today’s world.
Q. What technological impact do you think might happen due to this revolution?
With this new era of digital education system, students might find it more convenient to study from their homes, than to go to schools, study & socialize with others. For many it may also create issues like social anxiety, fear of physical contact etc. This may even reduce people’s interest in social activities, sports, cultural events etc.
The technological impact due this revolution will be immense. This will eventually lead to an entirely connected world, much like the nervous system of a human body. Most would argue over its pros & cons, but only time will tell for sure, its exact ramifications. Regardless we cannot deny that it is the future & the next step.
Q. What are you views about Proctur ?
Proctur has embarked on a brave journey to digitize our educational system, which is commendable. The work being done will be seen as an example for many years to come. It is a running on a visionary idea that will change the way we receive education for good.
The app is running a very smooth hassle free user interface, which makes the transition to such a new system an ease. I hope proctor continues its good work & expand its network even more.